Parent Compass Points Feedback Summary
Dear Junior School Parents,
Thank you to the all that families that were able to attend the two compass points meetings. We had more than 50 in attendance, representing 28 families. For those who were not able to attend, here is a summary of our next steps based on your compass points feedback.
Compass Points Action Steps:
1. Parent Workshops: Parents have identified the interest and need for more sessions and support. We will plan workshops focused on the following areas between now and June and have calendared more into the following school year of 2018-19.
- Bullying/ discipline policy
- Transition from Junior to Middle School
- PYP (social work, athletics, etc.) - understanding the learning model
2. JS Communication Committee: Communication has been identified as an area for improvement. The school has, therefore, convened a committee comprised of Junior School parents, YPA reps and school administration to review strategy and suggest improvements. One such example/idea is the development of a JS Parent Handbook with FAQs and policies, etc. where new and returning parents could turn to for helpful information and direction.
3. Review Learning Support model: As part of The York School’s 20/20 plan, parents have identified the need to review our learning support areas and how they operate. Part of our 20/20 strategic plan is to review the learning support model and the school looks forward to sharing this on-going work with parents next school year.
4. Collaborate with the YPA: Create opportunities to work with the YPA to ensure that we are more representative and celebratory towards all of our international and multicultural community. Examples include but are not limited to:
- Harmony Concert think tank
- International Week 2018-19
- Opportunities for partnerships/ identify roles and support of/for class parents, new parents, ambassadors, buddies etc.
5. Other informational items (nuts and bolts):
- Coffee meetings/ parent workshops: we have calendared monthly Junior School coffee meetings for the next school year to ensure there are clear lines of communication and consistent opportunities for feedback
- We have invited parents to bring any concerns or compliments to us via an open door policy and look forward to partnering with you going forward
Val and Struan
Mindful Moment - Action Research
As we all know, Mindfulness happens everyday in our school. Teachers are working with students to plan for mindfulness, name mindfulness, and practice mindfulness throughout the day in homerooms and specialist classes. This is one of the unique things about the Junior School.
As a faculty we have been wondering about our Mindful Moment and how we can further incorporate mindfulness into our days and lives. One of those examples has been taking the Mindful Moment off the PA system and integrating it into our classrooms, routines and throughout the day. Starting after the March Break, until the May long weekend, we will be engaging in action research - trying new ways to be mindful with our students. This could look a little bit the same and a little bit different, such as some days with the Mindful Moment on the PA system, and other days having it at an assembly or incorporated into a classroom activity or the lunchroom.
We look forward to reflecting on our action research after the May long weekend, charting a path forward with mindfulness and sharing our path with you.
In the meantime, please speak to your child about how mindfulness feels, sounds, and looks in the Junior School and at home.
Spring Athletics are just around the corner! To sign up for our Spring Teams and GADPs, please click here. The schedule for our spring offerings is here. If you have any questions, please email our Athletics Assistant, Norah Baine, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy March Break! We wish everyone a wonderful relaxing two weeks. We look forward to seeing the children back at school on Monday, March 26th, 2018.
The children have really enjoyed our present math unit in geometry. They are consistently showing off their new vocabulary by pointing out shapes in their environment. We love watching and hearing them identify and label geometric shapes by their names and deciphering whether they are 2D or 3D.
The children have been busy creating stories, performing plays at our puppet centre, and listening to a variety of literature. We have been discussing whether the stories are fiction or nonfiction, figuring out who the characters are, where the setting took place, and what the plot of the story was. This unit will continue when we return after March Break.
This week in Art, the JKs continued to work on their storytelling dolls. They used tinfoil to create their form and then covered it in plaster. Next, they painted their doll using their chosen skin colour, painted on clothing, and added details with markers, fabric, and more!
In Music, we discussed the trickster character in stories and sang a song about leprechauns. We also marched in single file around the classroom to the March of the Leprechauns.
In French, the students have continued to practise the play, Petit poussin. The students have also learned a new song called, Les marionnettes, puppets in French. The students have been practising the play along with les marionnettes.
Shortly after returning from March Break, we begin our final units. We will will continue to work on Number Sense and Numeration, Data Management and Probability and then introduce a new math unit of Measurement. Also in mid April, we will begin on our final Unit of Inquiry, “Sharing The Planet”.
Please send your child to school with splash pants when the weather is warm as it has been this past week.
We will be sending home all their belongings from their cubbies at March Break. Please refresh their clothing items if necessary; they may have grown out of some of their clothing and shoes.
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- Aug 22, 2018 JK - August 22 / 2018 Aug 22, 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017